Dota 2, also known as Defense of the Ancients was formerly developed by Valve Corp that was originally made by Guinsoo. Its predecessor DOTA was developed during the popularity of the game Warcraft III and was later involved on e-sports gaming. As its popularity boomed, players around the globe are coping with new strategies and ideas. Somehow, game variables of Warcraft is far more different before compared to the existing gaming technology recently. Compare to other MOBA games that are already in the market, DOTA 2 still have a common gameplay no other than a 5v5 which battles on a tri-lane map. In order to win, one of the opposing team must destroy its enemy base.
If you are already playing DOTA in Warcraft before, it will not going to be hard for you to understand the game. Due to most of its mechanics are still the same, some features are applied for hero upgrades such as skins and other items in game. But, if you are a beginner on this, these tips will get you a great head start.
DOTA 2 like its predecessor is an RTS with a touch of RPG (Role Playing Game) which highlights the heroes defending and destroying the opponents “Ancients”. That Ancient is located at the center of the base of each team and is protected by tower on a three lane manner. Turrets are intended to protect each lane from enemy creeps and heroes. In addition to that, each lane has 3 towers on which a team must destroy the first tower in order for them to proceed to another. Thus, pushing lane is an important part of the game for it also gives and additional gold.
So before the game starts, a player should choose their desired hero first. Each hero has a six-item slot located at the bottom right which your hero can equip for status upgrade. Dota2 has different classification of heroes and are also dependent on its level stats.
Hero classification falls into 3 category; strength, agility, and intelligence. Strength heroes possesses great hit points not to mention their defense and magic resistance. Once a strength type hero equipped by items which gives strength, HP and damage will boost. Equipping strength items in other hero types aside from strength heroes will just give an extra HP boost. Agility items can increase attack speed of a hero and at the same time, can increase the physical damage of any agility heroes. Overall effect of agility items tend to increase hero’s attack speed. And for hero with high intelligence, the same manner will be applied but it may only boost the mana and normal attack damage of mages. To conclude, there are three types of heroes which falls in these categories; strength, agility, intelligence.
Of course DOTA 2 is exclusive only in PC so expect to play with mouse and keyboards. Here are some tips for you.
Mouse right click – command your hero to move on a location and or pointing the arrow in your opponent’s hero will result to an attack (normal attacks). On items, it will result to purchase one.
Mouse left click – clicking on hero team or enemy will show their hero’s status and item but only limited to that. Gold counts are not included. Clicking on a higher level items will indicate all of its required piece in order for it to be crafted.
For communication, use Alt+left click – Targeting the ground will trigger a warning sign that will alert your team. It is either a warning or a guess. Clicking towers with this combination will indicate a command to destroy a tower. If you need to point out a danger zone in order for your ally to avoid a certain spot location on the map, simply press alt + ctrl+ left click.
Q, W, E and R – These hot keys on your keyboard which enables you to cast spell or skills. Mainly, Q for 1st skill, W for 2nd, E for 3rd, and R for ultimate. Some items are needed to click for activation. It is usually on the default keys D and F. If you’re are not comfortable with the default control, you can customize your own preferences.
Terminologies and Significations
- Creeps – As the game begins, each of the three lanes will be rallied by creeps for both teams. Each of these creeps may give gold to players only if they eliminate a creep by means of a “last hit.”
- Buildings – Towers and other buildings such as barracks and the ancient are the main structure that needed for a team to be protected. By destroying the heart of your enemy base, it will result to an immediate victory.
- Lanes – Three lanes in which the center often termed as “mid”, top for literally “top”, and bottom for “bot”, on which creeps are put into rally of opposing teams.
- Farming – Hunting jungle creeps as secretly collecting gold while invisible through the opponent’s mini-map.
- Creeps Pulling – A method on which a jungle creeps lured by a player until it meets a lane creeps, resulting to a clash head on without hitting a hero. Because of this, a hero can eliminate them freely.
- Dire Fraction– Team and Ancient located at top right of the map.
- Radiant Fraction– Team and Ancient located at bottom left of the map.
- Roshan – An ancient neutral creep between the boundaries of dire and radiant which gives an Aegis of Immortal – an item that enable players to re spawn upon death.
- Runes – A power-ups which is located on 6 spots of the map which spawns constantly every 2 minutes. First rune will spawn at the beginning of the game clock (0:00). The two types of runes are Power-p and bounty runes that you can store by purchasing a battle. Bottled runes can be use within 2 minutes. Here are the 6 types of runes:
- Bounty – Grants hero a bonus gold.
- Arcane – Reduce mana cost and cooldowns.
- Double Damage – 100% increase base damage.
- Haste – increase movements speed by 550 in 22 seconds.
- Illusion – creates two illusions which deals 35% damage. It takes 200%damage for melee and 300% on ranged.
- Invisibility – Grants invisibility to a hero for 45 seconds. It will be broken if a hero cast a skill or attack another hero or creeps.
- Regeneration – Regenerate hero’s maximum mana and HP.